Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sally Collins Workshop

Last weekend I went to a two day class held by the Austin Area Quilt Guild.  The teacher was Sally Collins and the subject was precision piecing.
I've been quilting for a bazillion years, and precision is not my forte.
For this class, I was determined to really pay attention, to try to do things exactly as the instructor directed, and to actually learn something instead of just going for a good time and maybe an idea or two.
Sally is a really good teacher.  I was able to do really good piecing as long as I followed her rules and processes.  It's slow.  Very slow.  But accurate.

Because my car had some problems, I caught a ride with a fellow guild member.    So, when I set my machine up and it wouldn't go, I had no choice but to sit and listen and make do.  I managed to get most of my three inch basket block pieced by turning the wheel by hand.  Talk about slow - this is REALLY slow.  But it looked good.



That evening, I finished the basket using my Singer Featherweight.  And I looked at my block and realized that the colors I had chosen were too pale for its intended use as a pincushion.  So Sunday morning I proceeded to piece another block.  I went to the class in the afternoon and pretty much finished the pincushion.  It is not perfect, but it looks damn good.



I put the pale block on my design wall and let it speak to me.  It said that it didn't have enough contrast.  I had just seen a post from a friend about a class that SHE had taken, in which paint was used on fabric.  I had also read a blog post from a quilter I admire in which she talked about accenting a block with paint.  And I said what the heck.  So I got out the fabric dye that I bought at quilt festival probably 10 years ago.  There was no pink, but I diluted the scarlet and carefully added a little dye to the 3/8 inch triangles that needed more color.  It looks better to me now, and I know that I can continue to make it darker if I need to.



Will I continue to use her processes?  I don't know.  I'd like to think so, but I do know my limitations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment