Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mystery Quilt

Last Fall's Lifetime Learning class, Advanced Quilting, featured a mystery quilt.  I chose a piece of fabric from my stash (it was a possible border for my nieces Happy 50th quilt but didn't make the cut)  and selected a number of lights and darks that were found in that pattern.  We made blocks, which had a lot of bias and odd numbers. 
I wasn't particularly pleased with the blocks, so I assembled the finished ones into a baby quilt.  It's all done except the binding.  I used the original feature fabric as a backing, instead of the borders that I had originally intended.
Then I took the leftover pieces (including some squares of the feature fabric) and put them into a second top.  It has somewhat of a modern vibe, as I used wide white sashing.  It waits in the closet for a time when I feel like practicing my free-motion quilting again.  It's good to have a finished top or two in the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment