Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Bowl is not Empty!

The Empty Bowls project hosts a sale in Round Rock this year.  For sale are bowls made by area children; the proceeds go to the food pantry.   It's held at a primary school, with pottery demonstrations, music from school groups, and general celebration.

I've been meaning to go for years, and finally made it.  I bought one bowl (it came with a side of soup) that was interesting - kind of flat, metallic gray on the inside, pastel and lumpy on the outside, and with a chip in the rim.  It doesn't photograph well.  But it sits on my coffee table and reminds me that I have food to eat whenever I want.  Food of my own choosing. Nutritious food or frivolous food.

I also bid on a little heart shaped red bowl at the silent auction.  I don't know if the hole in the bottom was intentional, but the sale organizers made a silk purse out of a sow's ear by adding a begonia in just the right color and calling it a planter.

Yesterday I got the call that I had one this sweet little piece and I was very pleased  I may have to transplant the begonia into something larger, but for now, it will grace my table and make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment