Thursday, June 4, 2020

Masks





The first masks I made had elastic ear loops.  They were pleated and contained nose wires made from pipe cleaners.

Most of these went to close family and friends.






The next bazillion used straps made of straight-of-grain fabric, using a bias tape maker to help with the folding and ironing.

Still using pleats and pipe cleaners. 

The ties used a lot of fabric and time. 

But the fit was pretty good.

I gave some to neighbors.

My friend and neighbor Brady asked for a larger one, so I obliged.  He has lots of plants and bluebonnets in his yard.
















My daughter discovered that her cousin in Indiana had tested positive for the virus and was asking for masks for his family.   No one had gone into business yet and masks were unavailable.   I quickly made five (in colors of his alma mater) and mailed them off. 










My grandson goes to college in North Dakota.
So I mailed a couple of masks to him. (I included a yarn tassle toy for his cat.)


Two more went to my grandson and his wife in Louisiana.


Not long after, my friend who is a therapist at the VA Hospital in San Antonio passed on a request for masks for workers (non-medical personnel).   A specific pattern was required and I made 20 and mailed them offf.   These had a pocket for a filter and were made with one large piece of fabric.


c                     

   I made one for her, too, of course. 





Then the call went out to quilters from the local fire department for washable masks to wear while in the station house.   Our guild made several hundreds.   I made 46 for that effort.




             












No comments:

Post a Comment