We make quilts for infants, children and teens.
This month there were kits for our Virtual Sew-In. My friend picked up a kit for me and, although I didn't make it during the sew-in, I made the top shortly thereeafter. The pattern is titles something like Boxed In, and it's very easy. I was given the squares and the sashing. A couple of the squares didn't make me smile, so I replaced them with ones from my collection.
I looked through my yardage and didn't find one that worked well with these lovely subdued prints, so I plan to turn the top in as-is and let another member chose a back. A number of members have longarms and will make quick work of the final step. Well, final except for labeling and binding. But many hands make light work.
Earlier, a friend gave me a panel and challenged me to do a charity quilt with it. I used a border technique from the Kathy Scamp book "Panels and Prints", but I cut the strata using my Dear Jane ruler, so the pieces were interchangeable. It made for a fun and lively border.
It was an easy project to do at a recent retreat - just the right mix of mindlessness. And nice to have friend's opinions on color choices and how to resolve the end pieces of the border. Because of course my panel wasn't exactly the size needed and a little adjustment was needed.